So you’ve passed through the brunt of the winter holidays and now you remember: Winter isn’t just a season of snowmen and hot cocoa. In fact, winter is a season that’s especially hard on your hair.
The changing temperature and difference in humidity can cause numerous problems for your locks. You can expect to struggle more than usual with things like dryness, dandruff, frizz, and flyaways. So, what can you do to increase the number of good hair days despite the extreme drop in temperature?
How to Prepare Your Hair for Winter
1. Get a trim: If you have pesky split ends, you should get them trimmed before winter arrives. Frayed and splitting ends that have been damaged are highly unlikely to recover, and if you don’t trim them up, they’re going to get much worse due to the change in temperature and humidity.
2. Increase moisture: If you are looking to reduce frizz then moisture is key. When your hair has the proper moisture, it’s protected from the elements and less prone to frizz. Buy shampoos and conditioners with moisturizing properties that dive deep into your hair shaft rather than simply moisturizing the top layers. Using a moisturizing hair mask or hot oil treatment once a week is also extremely helpful.
3. End your shower cold: When it’s cold outside and you’re dreaming of a nice, hot shower the last thing you want is to blast yourself with cold water. But ending your shower in a cold rinse can work wonders against frizz and help boost your hair’s shine.
4. Towel dry carefully: Frizz is one of the most common problems you’ll face during the cold, wintery months ahead. Towel drying incorrectly will only make this problem worse. Ringing your hair out might sound like a good idea in theory, but it actually ruffles the cuticles and promotes frizz. You want to gently squeeze your hair to remove excess water instead. And never rub your head with a towel. If you do that, you’re just inviting frizz with open arms.
5. Switch out your pillow case: Sleeping on 100% silk can help weather-proof your hair while you rest. Your new pillow case will prevent your hair from rubbing against rough fabrics as you catch up on your beauty sleep. This change will help cut down on flyaways and reduce your chances of breakage.
For more hair care tips, hair thickening products, or any other hair care needs, visit our website.